11.23.2010

Black Music & company

Last Thursday, a large group from the program went to a Ratatat concert. Holy crap, it was raging. Ratatat isn't a band that sings, so really it was just a bunch of jamming out. I have never danced so much at a concert before. The venue was in the middle of nowhere. I have no idea how to get back there if I had to. 

At one point during the moshing, Maggie and Rocio got feisty with the people behind us. I thought we were going to have to rap battle it out or something, but alas, the only casualty was Rocio's hair when someone spit gum into it. 

So, let's see. It was quite the adventure to get back that night. The next day, we didn't have school but most of the architecture students went to Brno for the day. I went with Matt, Henry, Ruby and Michelle to get strudel in this really obscure place in Prague. Basically, the back-story to this is that it takes about 25 minutes to get to by tram. I attempted to go with Matt once, but it was closed. Then, he tried to go earlier in the week with Henry and Ruby, and alas, it was closed again for a Czech holiday. This time, we went and it was closed! We were so bummed until Ruby saved the day with her Czech language skills and translated that they were closed for the hour for lunch.  We spent the next hour buying milk, attempting to play in a Czech sandpit, strolling around parks, and avoiding dog poop (did I mention before that there is dog poop EVERYWHERE in this city?). When we got back to the strudel place, appropriately named Strudl, there was a line of people anticipating their own 12in apple, curd, or poppyseed strudel. 

We decided to split the three flavors amongst the 5 of us. The poppyseed sucked, but the other two were delicious. We actually planned on finding a park to eat, but we didn't make it past the street corner beside the place. We looked ridiculous because the powdered sugar on top went everywhere. I have pictures of Michelle getting overstimulated by the experience. 

After this endeavor, we all split up. Matt and I went to Starbucks in Mala Strana because we heard a rumor that it had an awesome basement. Well, the basement was really warm and my internet wouldn't work. Therefore, we bebopped to another cafe around the corner. It was smaller and the guy was real friendly. My internet wouldn't work there either so Matt saved the day and fixed it for me.

Later, we went out to dinner with Jenny and Bryan at an Italian Restaurant next to Kri-Kri (a classic favorite). After dinner, we went back to the Pension and then over to NYU's dorm to prepare for a night out to the famous Karlovy Lazne- a five-story club right in the center of Prague. Each floor had a different type of music. I would usually go into more detail here, but I think it might be more entertaining if you read what someone wrote on wikipedia about it. 

How can I describe the night? Tourist Indulgence. Yeah. I met creepers from Ireland, Turkey, France, and of course, Prague! So much fun. When we got bored of the wonderfully named "Black Music" floor, we would run downstairs to the Oldies. The most intense floor was definitely the techno/electronic floor, but the dj sucked. Sacrifices made for lasers and heavy beats. 

We didn't stay out too late- I was exhausted. The next day I went to go see Harry Potter 7. Oh lawddddd. It was phenomenal. It was quite a cultural experience, too. You have to reserve specific seats when you buy tickets. We came about 10 minutes before it started, so we ended up in the front, but not bad. There was an intermission, as well. Needless to say, the movie was soooooooo gooooooood.

I didn't do much for the rest of the day, but that evening, we met up with the NYU kids again for dinner. Michelle and Henry's sisters came over to visit, so we had a mini-Thanksgiving meal. Okay, well there wasn't a turkey considering it's a vegetarian restaurant. And there was nothing Thanksgiving about it, but we did our cheers and that was good enough. Actually, it was a relatively large group of people. After dinner, we split up again. Half the group went to a random house party, while my half went to Puerto Rico for a more mellow evening. The only blog-worthy event that happened was Aari and her friend Sarah were taking flaming B52 shots and Aari almost singed her eyelashes off. 

There is an art exhibit called "Decadence Now!" I think I talked about it in my last blog- it's dirty and provoking art. On Sunday, Matt, Laura, and I went to it. I tell you what...it was raunchy! Each room we entered was a taboo subject, ie, sex, death, etc. 

After, the three of us went in different directions. I had nothing to do, so I hopped on the tram and just rode around all afternoon. I went with intentions to explore, but the weather was so awful that after an hour-ish, all I wanted to do was crawl into bed and listen to music. 

When I got back home, I did just that until it was dinner time. I went to the institute to make it, then I ended up at McDonald's for dessert with Becca. We actually spent about 2 and half hours there just talking. Nothing more soothing than a bonding session in the upstairs section to McDonald's. 

Nothing too exciting from yesterday except a Philosophy Scavenger Hunt! I have to say that I have gotten more out of this single experience than any class we've had so far. We had to find as many buildings that philosophers lived in from a list of 10 in the immediate area as we could. Depending on how many we find, we would then be asked that many questions about the content written underneath the address. Does that make sense? So, my team found 6 buildings. We showed our teach those 6 pictures and he then quizzed us on any 6 philosopher's we wanted. We answered 5/6 questions correctly. The boys only found 4 buildings.. therefore, it wouldn't have mattered whether they answered them all correct or not. VICTORYYYYYY. Our prize is "I don't know, perhaps a small book?" I'll let you know what he ends up bringing us. 

This week is dying down because Thanksgiving break starts tomorrow. Some people have already left for great adventures. I am not leaving until Thursday morning, however. So, I will be attending Movie Night and on Wednesday, Becca and I plan on doing a laundry adventure among other things.

Until after Venice then...

No comments:

Post a Comment